How to build a website for small business in 2022
With the current pandemic that occurred in 2020, many people lost their lives, many people lost their jobs and livelihood. It’s time to switch a career in the digital platform, with offices being shut and the work-from-home trend continuing. One of the best career options is to start a website.
Let’s say you have expertise in home decor, so start a website and create a small business in this niche. Or you have expertise in maintaining a pet, so start a website in this niche. Niche and expertise in the niche are important. But many people have no clue how to start a website. In this article, I would tell you the step-by-step procedure, for how to start a website in 2022.
How to build a website for small business in 2022 | Requirements
A Domain is the address of the website. For Example, the address of my website is www.perfectquotesforu.com which is related to motivation. These are quite inexpensive and you could get them as low as $10. Choose a website that is related to your niche so that it’s easy for users to find your website and search for information related to your niche. Various generic-level domain extensions are:
- Commercial(.com): .com is the most famous extension that’s meant for general purposes and for those who are starting their business or website. Most beginners should opt for a .com extension.
- Government(.gov): .gov is a strict-level domain meant for government bodies. Only government organizations can opt for it.
- Organization(.org): .org is a domain extension meant for a public and private organization that works for non-commercial purposes. Beginners can’t use this extension.
- Education(.edu): .edu is a strict-level domain meant for educational institutions like schools, colleges, universities, etc.
- Country-Specific Domain: If you are planning to showcase your website to a specific country like India, select the .in extension, or in Australia, select the .au extension. Let’s say you are starting an e-commerce business and want to target the audience of a specific country or location, then select that country-specific domain.
Points to remember
Three key points while selecting a domain name are:
- The domain name should be short and simple, easy to remember, and easy to pronounce.
- Moreover, The domain name should have the niche name you are going to showcase your audience, else select a domain name with your name in it, many beginners use it and are quite successful.
- Select domain extension according to your prospects like you are starting a small business.
The Top 5 Domain Registrar is:
- Google Domain
Hosting is the area of the website where you store data which includes images and posts. You could get them as low as $20 per year. Choosing reliable hosting is very important. The key points while selecting a hosting are:
- Choose a hosting that moreover guarantees it won’t get crashed or other system failures.
- It, however, provides full-time call center support to rectify any issues.
- Provides sufficient storage to run websites with ease.
- Also, a trustworthy hosting company.
Some of the best hosting service providers are:
- A2 Hosting
Bluehost has been one of my preferred domain registrars and hosting service providers. If you are interested in checking the website, here is the link description.
Content Management System
Of all the content management systems, Many prefer WordPress. Although Wix provides paid premium version, and Shopify provides a platform for e-commerce, still WordPress tops the chart.
WordPress acts as an interface between a user and the coding language. Since it’s time-consuming to learn a coding language, we often use WordPress interface to build a website. The coding automatically happens at the backend. WordPress installation is free for all beginners.
A theme is the presentation software that showcases the website. Just like you decorate your home with furniture and other home decor, a theme similarly decorates your blogs and websites. Some themes are free and some themes are chargeable depending on the quality of the theme. I use the Ashe theme of WP-Royal as it’s a user-friendly and easy-to-manage theme. Also, you could use the Bard theme of WP-Royal as it’s perfect for bloggers.
Plugins are short functional codes that ease our tasks while writing and maintaining the website. Let’s say we have to insert a table of descriptions, instead to create it manually using coding language or other means, we use a plugin for the table and it’s created easily. The Top 10 Plugins that I use for my website are:
- Advanced Editor Tools (previously TinyMCE Advanced)
- Akismet Anti-Spam
- Classic Editor
- Jetpack by WordPress.com
- LiteSpeed Cache
- Shortcodes Ultimate
- UpdraftPlus – Backup/Restore
- Wordfence Security
- Yoast SEO
How to build a website for small business in 2022 | Building for small business
- Niche Selection: As discussed earlier, niche selection is important. However, don’t pick a niche that everyone is selecting to write. Also, the niche should represent your dream, your passion, and your expertise. Even if it’s a simple niche like ‘keeping a pet’, pick that niche if you think you are an expert in it. Maybe the users are searching for particular information that you only know about it. How helpful would that be to others if you write an article on it?
- Blog Post: Now the niche has been selected, it’s time to put out a few articles. Moreover, make sure you are genuine and authentic, and provide value to the readers. Include headings, sub-headings, paragraphs, images, videos, etc to explain your ideas. Write a blog post at least once a week, so that more & more people get to know your business.
In the end, our goal is to monetize our small business. So, select a niche that could be beneficial to the audience. For example, you may be an expert in kite flying, but a business about it won’t help if your goal is to monetize your business.
How to build a website for small business in 2022 | Content Strategy
So the niche has been decided, and the blog material is ready. So you need to develop a perfect strategy for how to collect as much information about the topic to put out in the form of a blog. Also, Given below is the table and pie chart on how to write a blog post accurately.
Let’s say, we have to write a fashion blog on how to style navy blue jeans, so however, we need to first research about what are the outfits and color coordination that goes well with the jeans, what’s trending in jeans styling, etc. Then we have to strategize the information one by one and convert it into an article with the help of the charts distribution mentioned above. This way you moreover, could promote your business as well.
Malini Agarwal has been one of the most inspiring bloggers and entrepreneurs to date, who has been a constant source of motivation for so many people. Also, her recent autobiography ” To The Moon”, shares not only her journey but also shares some ideal tips for becoming a successful entrepreneur. You could check out the book and many other inspirational books.
If you have followed the steps to start a blog and wondering how to get more visitors, check out my article How to Get More Traffic to your Blog
Moreover, starting a business is like having your firm and being the boss of your own company. Starting a blog is a path to entrepreneurship, and achieving financial freedom. So if you are wondering why should we choose to blog as a career, read my article on Why Entrepreneurship as a career in 2022.